Faith Formation 2023-2024
Welcome to Faith Formation at Saint Boniface! We are excited to be part of your family’s faith journey.
When are Faith Formation classes?
We offer Faith Formation classes for students in pre-kindergarten through ninth grade. Classes are held on Sundays from 9:45 a.m.—10:45 a.m. in the Faith Formation building.
We will begin the year with an Open House on Sunday, August 27, 2023. Regular classes begin on Sunday, September 10, 2023. The final class for the school year will be Sunday, May 5, 2023. Breaks for holidays coincide with the schedule at the Effingham County Schools.
How do I register my student(s)?
Registration forms and payment can be submitted online at www.sbcatholic.com. Paper copies can also be re-turned to the Parish Office (in person or by mail), or to the box in the parish hall entry.
- Completed registration form (one per child)
- Baptism certificate copy for students not Baptized at Saint Boniface, if not already on file.
- Media release form
- Registration fees
- The early registration fee is $25, and is offered through August 15, 2023. After this date, the fee is $50 per student.
We communicate throughout the year by email. Please check your email regularly for Faith Formation related updates. If your child is in kindergarten through sixth grade, their class utilizes the Christ In Us curriculum from Sadlier. This program includes both a textbook and online resources. Please look for an email with information about your parent portal for this program at the beginning of the year.
What do I need to know about preparing for Sacraments?
At Saint Boniface, students must complete two consecutive years of Faith Formation classes before receiving a Sacrament.
Students in the Faith Formation program begin preparing for Confirmation in seventh grade.
In eighth grade students complete 15 service hours, select their Confirmation sponsor, and complete a project about their Confirmation Saint.
Confirmation takes place during the fall of ninth grade. Confirmation for 2023 will be Wednesday, November 29 at 6:00 p.m. There is a mandatory parent/student meeting on Sunday, September 10 during the regular class time. Students will attend classes with Father Martino in the parish hall through Sunday, November 12.
First Reconciliation/First Holy Communion:
Preparation for First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion begins after the new year. There will be a required parent/student meeting on Sunday, January 7 during the regular Faith Formation class time. First Holy Communion will be the weekend of April 27-28, 2024. The Mass time will be decided at the parent/student meeting.
Part of the Faith Formation curriculum includes a prayer list for each grade. We work with the students during the year on these prayers, and ask that parents practice with their children at home regularly as well. A prayer list for each grade will be available at the Open House.
Teaching Safety—Empowering God’s Children
Teaching Safety—Empowering God’s Children is a program that teaches age-appropriate lessons on touching safety and personal boundaries. The Diocese of Savannah requires that we include this program annually. If you do not wish for your child to participate in the Empowering God’s Children program, there is an opt out form you will need to complete and return to the DRE. No further action is needed if you would like your child to partici-pate.
Expectations for students:
- Respect God, yourself, and others.
- Be on time and prepared for class each week.
- Dress modestly for class.
- No phone/electronics usage during Faith Formation classes.
- No tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs or weapons on Saint Boniface premises.
Expectations for parents:
- Stay involved with your child’s faith formation classes by reviewing prayers and classwork with your child.
- Check your email for Faith Formation information.
- Check the online Christ In Us parent portal if your child is in Kindergarten-6th grade.
- Communicate any concerns or special needs to your child’s teacher.
- Make sure your child is on time and prepared for Faith Formation classes.
- Attend Mass regularly and pray together at home.
We are looking forward to a great year! Please contact Sara Folland, Director of Religious Education at DRE@sbcatholic.com or (912) 754-7473, extension 24 if you have any questions or concerns.